Fonte a termine Mescitrice
(Fountain through the pourer)
20th century (1980) bronze | 77 cm (h)
Restored from scratch and equipped for exhibition purposes with appropriate technologies to host original works, the new museum space constitutes an independent section connected to the Museo Ideale Leonardo Da Vinci (of art, utopia and culture of the earth), in the context typical of a Tuscan landscape, next to the Etruscan-Roman settlement of Petroio.
The building is located in Sant’Ippolito in Valle, in the place that takes its name from the Romanesque church and from the ancient Popolo extended on the banks of the Arno and the torrent that Leonardo called ‘the river Streda’. It is part of the sixteenth-century complex, formerly owned by the Uguccioni family, descendants of Bernardo di Uguccione di Lippo, Prior of the Arts in Florence in 1444 and of Giovanni Uguccioni husband of Nannina Rucellai, great-grandson of Lorenzo the Magnificent.
It includes a chapel originally mentioned in the Bull of Celestine III of 8th June 1152 under the name of the Saints Ippolito and Cassiano.
The exhibition itinerary proceeds from a historical framework linked to the territory of Vinci and Tuscany until the time of the Medici, including the depictions of seventy-four varieties of grapes grown in the region: some are mentioned in Leonardo’s manuscripts.